Sunday, November 4, 2012

Vitamin D!

I had my first infant cultural foray this morning -- I'm sure many more are to come.

In the U.S., pediatricians of breast-fed infants stress the importance of vitamin D supplements.  I've had conversations with multiple friends about this, and the general "mom" consensus is that it's a must for fall/winter babies, but less required for spring/summer babies. Thought process is obvious: when the weather is nice, you take the baby outside, so he gets vitamin D naturally.  (unless, of course, he's slathered in sunscreen -- or in Texas where it's too hot!)

Today is Day One of starting transition to nanny care.  I'm not sure when I'll go back to work, but it will be sometime between Nov 19 and 30.  So, though it's weird to be in my house and let someone else hold Ian, I'm trying to let go so that Ian isn't too shocked when I do go back.

Just now (7AM), Lea (nanny) told Wm and Patch it was time to go outside so Ian could get his vitamin D before the sun was too strong for his skin.  I was surprised, to say the least - but obviously public health awareness in the Philippines is higher than I thought.  My wonderfully internationally-aware pediatrician in DC did say I could probably discontinue the vitamin drops once in Manila, given how sunny it is here.  Guess I should send him an email confirming his supposition.

Now all three boys are at the playground. Guess this means I better get in the shower!

No comments: