Sunday, November 18, 2012

Back to work tomorrow

I feel like I should feel sad or apprehensive or something like that.  But, I don't.  Guess when it's the third one, going back is old hat.  Either that or I am a cruel and heartless mother (ha ha ha).  Really, though, my thought about working and having kids is that I'm a bit to cerebral to be home with babies all the time.  I need more brain stimulation of an academic sort, which a baby just doesn't give me.  I'll spend my days researching human rights issues in the Phlippines, my evenings hugging up all three boys, my nights nursing, and I should be quite content.

In church today, (yes! we went with all three boys!  it wasn't a total disaster, but wasn't so easy either... we did not get any snarky comments or sideways looks, so I think it must have been a success) the priest gave a sermon about joy (I think he said the word in New Testament Greek was "chara").  He asked all the parents to remember when their child too his first steps and how that filled their heart with joy.  Greg and I looked at each other and realized that was not an event for either Wm or Patch that was imprinted in our memories at all.  Which proves my point: we love our kids and they do bring joy, but we're just not gaga over the baby phase.

So, back to work I go with Ian only at nine weeks.  Not really sure if I'll be as ambivalent about this when I'm at the office tomorrow, but there it is.

I told my work friend that if I ever were to consider staying home, it would be in the teenage years, when the kids can think more, face a lot more choices, and need a bit more guidance.  She has three kids in college, and she responded that I would be surprised how much trouble can happen between school dismissal at 2:30 and mom returning home at 6:30 ... so perhaps I should keep that in mind for the future.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I completely agree with your work friend. The most "crime" committed by the high schoolers in Philly happens between dismissal time and the evening - hence a big push for after school programs!

Elaine said...

Middle school is my choice. Kids are so totally into "peers." On the other hand, you
, Beth and Nancy are pretty good testimonies to a working mom