Tuesday, November 6, 2012

About 6 Months Left

We know we're headed back to DC sometime this summer, but don't exactly know when.  Our tour in Manila is supposed to end in April, so that means we have about six months left.  Hard to believe.

This also means I need to start thinking about two very important things:
1. Where do we absolutely want to travel in the Philippines before we leave and
2. What do I have in my pantry that I need to start eating so we don't end up donating/tossing lots of food when we leave.

When we left HYD, I didn't start item 2 until about two months pre-departure - and I felt like I gave away half the grocery store!  I didn't feel bad about our nanny taking pantry staples (rice, lentils, etc) - she certainly could use the food.  But, much of what we had left on the shelves was import stuff of no use to needy people ... just the product of my impulse purchases at Q-Mart or Ruci, when I was simply excited to see a product on a shelf.

On travel, we still are upset we never made it to Kerala while we were in India.  Coming to Manila, Greg's must see trip was to Angkor Wat - and, thankfully, his sister obliged to travel with him.  I think our only "must do" left is to swim with the whale sharks in Donsol, which will be in March right before we leave.

Some "nice to do" trips would be:
(1) one or two more scuba diving trips - my last scuba trip was in December 2011 just after Christmas before I knew I was pregnant.  Figure I should go scuba diving while it's still affordable!
(2) Vigan - an old Spanish town in northern Luzon, registered UNESCO World Heritage site
(3) A weekend in Baguio, especially since Greg has yet to see the residence up there
(4) The rice terraces, perhaps as a day trip from Baguio

I know we won't get to all of these because I've just burned up all my leave for the time I'm spending home with the new baby.  Hopefully, though, we'll at least squeeze in a dive trip.  I even ordered Ian an infant life vest in anticipation of an upcoming banca boat ride!

PS -- I started thinking about this because the boys had their dentist appointment today.  No cavities, so next appointment not for six months.  Then the receptionist was looking at dates in May and I realized we wouldn't actually be here for a dentist appointment in May.  WEIRD.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well christmas is on way... So many options are available in gifts But I've been trying to figure out a fun, homemade christmas gifts for him on this Christmas.

Thanks for sharing!