Monday, November 12, 2012

Salon visit, the Manila way

After five months, my hair was in pretty poor repair.  The ends were scraggly.  The color was fading.  Roots were showing.  I'm going back to work next week, and obviously don't want to look like a slug, so a trip to the salon was past due.

I decided to just "run" over to Rockwell after Patch's birthday party and get it done.  After all, who knows what else might come up this last week of relatively free schedule?  I say "run" because it can be anywhere from 20 - 60 minute drive to my salon, depending on traffic.  Thankfully today was average: 30 minutes each way.

Then comes the next dilemma: how to get my hair done and also make sure my nursing infant is adequately fed?  Ian already drank his pumped bottle today when I was dropping Wm at school.  The obvious solution?  Bring the nanny to the salon, Filipino style.  So, off we went: Joel (driver), Lea (nanny), Ian and me.  What an extravagent lifestyle ... but might as well live it up for the next six months before I return to reality (aka, America).  Turns out the capes for getting your hair colored also make good nursing covers.

Other multi-tasking accomplished during the salon visit: neck/shoulder massage (my shoulders are so tight from constantly cradle holding a nursing baby), pedicure, and a cup of tea.  Lest you think I'm totally crazy, the lady next to me was also having a manicure, full foot/leg massage (in addition to pedicure), AND had a tailor visit her at the salon.  I can't understand Tagalog, but they were having debates about his sketches and the fabric samples he brought - while the manicure, pedicure, neck massage, and deep conditioning treatment were all going on.  Talk about using her "girl time" efficiently!

PS - my favorite Lebanese hairstylist has sadly left Manila for good.  We'll see in two days (after I wash the straight blow out) how this new guy compares.  Getting curly hair cut in Asian countries is always an adventure.

3 comments:

Sara said...

You should check our Philippes salon. They have wonderful stylists and Philippe is the best colorist in town. Hands down! I love your multi-tasking. Might as well live as the Filipinos do. It takes a village right?

TulipGirl said...

Had my pre-Marine Ball color touch up and trim last week. (Not that I'm going to the Marine Ball, but scheduled this 3 months ago -- if I don't schedule in advance, I procrastinate going to the salon!)

Usually one of my older boys comes to babysit, but they were both involved with extracurriculars that day. So. . . along came the housekeeper doing a bit of nanny duty. And yes, although a bit hot, those capes do make great nursing covers!

Though, my 6 month old was a little crankier than usual and my pedicure ended up being a wonderful soak, no polish and I wouldn't let the stylist finish blowing out my hair.

Still, I felt pampered. The salon owner brought me fresh juiced carrot/orange juice and they all oohed and ahhed over the baby.

Yes, feeling a bit pampered!

Unknown said...

You can know about salon visit Manila way through the post here. Useful post
beauty salon