Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day

I read a WaPo article this morning about election day vs. election month, talking about how early voting is now very wide spread.  What struck me most, though, was the description of the old voting machines: going into a booth, drawing the curtain, making selections, then pulling down a big crank when finished.

Personally, I have only voted with computerized or scantron ballots.  I do remember, though, going to my elementary school with my mom and being inside the curtain, wondering who all the people were, and helping pull down the big crank. My next thought, of course, is that I'm not sure I'll ever vote with Wm, Patch or Ian.  Having them watch me tick boxes on an absentee ballot is not quite the same.  Hopefully this will not negatively impact their sense of responsibility when it comes to voting!

Moving on to election day thought #2.  The embassy is sponsoring "election watches" at three locations throughout the Philippines: in large malls in Manila and Cebu, and a more private event in Cagayan d'Oro.  Greg is spending his work day manning the event.  He's not exactly sure what he'll be assigned to do, but with a big screen showing CNN results, a photo booth, election trivia games and the like, sounds like a fun day.

I'm wondering if this concept would fly in other countries, or if it's just because of the Philippines status as a former colony.  

1 comment:

Elaine said...

I remember the immense satisfaction of closing the curtain and then the big "clunk" when you registered the vote. Too bad those machines are gone. It reenforced the secrecy of your ballot and the weightiness of the decision.