Saturday, June 2, 2012

Oh, to be two

Patch doesn't really have the "terrible twos," but he certainly has his quirks. Well, really only one quirk right now: food. I think he would be reverting to a milk-only diet if we would allow it. While in TX in January 2012, I remember my mom and mother in law both remarking what a great eater he was. No matter what was put in front of him - fruit, veggie, meat, diary, grain - he'd eat with gusto. Really the only things I remember him disliking were scrambled eggs and rice (the later very strange for being born in India).

Slowly, without my really realizing what was going on, he started cutting foods out of his diet, until the only things he would eat were chicken nuggets and hot dogs. Not so keen on the processed food only intake, I stopped buying those (the easiest way to keep our nanny from feeding him that). And since then, I think he's pretty much subsisted on peanut butter, bread, and milk. Every now and then he'll eat some plain yogurt. Very occasionally he'll deign to pick up a raisin or two that I diligently leave on the coffee table, hoping to entice him. Eating a french fry (yes, I did say "a" french fry) has become something of an accomplishment. And I was thrilled when he ate all three options of breakfast buns purchased from our local bakery (a cheese bun, a coconut bun and a more familiar sugar bun).

He will chow down on cake and cookies; I know this because eating rules at birthday parties are suspended in favor of minimizing tantrums in public. He is stubborn, though. Though I don't, in general practice, subscribe to bribing as a parenting method, I admit I've tried it with Patch and food. I've placed numerous things in front of him and lined up small bits of chocolate behind his plate, explaining he could have a bite of chocolate after each bite of real food. He just sits in his chair, says, "NO!", and keeps sitting there, not even crying about the chocolate. He obviously understands the deal, and wants no part in it.

And he enjoys teasing us. We'll be talking about food, and he'll sneakily say, "Apples are good."  My ears perk up, a light shines in my eyes, and I immediately reply, "Patch, shall I cut an apple for you or get some apple sauce." He just smirks and says, "No. More milk please." (to which the usual response is, only water for you now.)

A rational part of me knows I can't do much and I shouldn't stress about it. Wm, after all, asked for only green beans and peas for dinner tonight - so eventually all kids come around - but all the same, I'd be much happier if he would revert to being a good eater, or, at a minimum ,pick one acceptable fruit and one acceptable green vegetable!

1 comment:

Karen said...

How do such little kids know that food issues make parents nuts? Do they pass along the knowledge at daycare/preschool/mothers day out?