Sunday, May 27, 2012

Starbucks in Manila

Starbucks is super popular here, somewhat surprisingly so, given an average per capita income of about $4000/ year. But, I suppose that is country-wide average, and with a higher average in the city it might make more sense. At $3 for a grande ice americano, however, the price isn't that different than the US. Somehow, Starbucks has convinced Filipinos that a frapuccino is a worthwhile item to spend disposable income on.

I'm not complaining, though, since I seem to be craving ice coffee a lot with this baby - and the ubiquitous Starbucks reliably carries decaf coffee (which was impossible to find in HYD).  With three locations within two blocks of the embassy and at least five within a 5 minute drive from Seafront, I have no shortage of options. What frustrates me is a lack of quick-stop Starbucks. Having to pay 40 pesos to park, when I'm not even going to stay 3 minutes, ups the cost of that ice coffee by 25%!

After 15 months, for better or worse, I finally found a Starbucks at the MoA complex where I can "park" on the side of the road and for a quick run in without the security guards having a conniption fit. Since it's removed from the main mall by one block, it's also not crowded - and the salespeople don't feel rushed to figure out how to enter my VAT-exempt number. Score!

This exemplifies, though, why moving every two years is tiring. Something as simple as this took me more than half my time in Manila to figure out. I'll only enjoy it for less than a year, and then we'll be off ... And all the little things will be new again. At least for now, I can enjoy a Sunday ice coffee without too much hassle.

No comments: