Sunday, June 24, 2012

Reading in the papers

This week, one of the major things I work on - the Trafficking in Persons report - was released. I've been happy to read articles that reflect both the strengths and weaknesses highlighted in the report. Certainly some experts have commented about lack of clarity in a few technical points, but by and large the media has treated it fairly.

I noticed that every single article I've read quotes how much the Philippine government allocates to the Interagency Council Against Trafficking, the anti-trafficking coordinating body. It has me thinking I now need to do some research about just how public government budgets are - or aren't - here.

In the U.S., I think most citizens take it for granted that they can find out how governments from local to federal level are spending tax money. It might take time and hard work, but one can eventually obtain it. Academically, I know that other countries don't have the same open government rules. Perhaps these congressionally-mandated reports benefit not only U.S. citizens, but also those in the countries we write about by encouraging more transparency. 

No comments: