Saturday, June 2, 2012

Speaking of food

My debate this month is what to do about Wm's school lunch. Going to a local school, the school year starts tomorrow. At his school at the CASA age (2.5 - 6 years), the start dates are staggered. New students start June 4. Returning students join June 13. Then from July 2, the "extended day" kids (ages 5 and 6, i.e., kindergarten age) attend until 3PM, which means bringing a lunch.

Remembering how stressful lunch time can be for kids, I made sure to ask his teacher during orientation what a Filipino kid takes for lunch. Sadly, a sandwich, piece of fruit, pretzels and a small sweet is not the norm. Instead, it's - of course! - Asian style: warm rice, a small portion of meat/chicken/fish, veggies, and some fruit for dessert. While I have no problem with the nutrition, the logistics pose a problem to our usual morning routine.

When the kids live near by, their driver drops off a warm lunch just before it's time to eat. But for those a bit further away (i.e., us), the families pack in thermos-type containers in the morning. So now I'm wondering we will cook. And even wondering, too, if by "we" do I mean me? or asking Lea to come 30 minutes earlier? I'm not sure. I do know that Greg would tell me to just give him a sandwich.

2 comments:

sarah said...

Can you just do leftovers from dinner the night before, heated up and in a Thermos?

Elaine said...

I hate to tell you from my Pre school experience that. I personally would have failed the lunch test