Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Impossible without friends back home

When we left HYD for home leave, I vaguely remember commenting on how this job would be so much more difficult without a supportive family back home - relatives to stay with and to borrow cold-weather clothing from so Wm and Patch, who basically wear exclusively shorts and t-shirts, could experience snow. I know it can be tiring having us whisk in for a few days, say hi, then jet away never to be seen again - sometimes for two years. None the less, we really appreciated all the extra effort by family, many of whom traveled to see us at various gathering points at a significant expense.

Prepping for the upcoming "prego-vac," I am again thankful for the help, this time from longtime - and just introduced - friends to help provide the basic newborn gear, so we don't have to ship stuff across the Pacific and back. I'll admit, most stuff I'm sourcing from a friend in DC with a son about a year and a half old; a perfect set up. A loaner car seat, though, was a bit elusive ... until I posted on an online forum for foreign service parents. One Foreign Service mom, whom I've never met, jumped to my aid, happy to loan her infant bucket seat out for the approximately six weeks #3 will be an outsider in the US.

And #3 must realize I've been writing about him, because he's been jumping around like crazy as I type. Either that, or maybe he's just excited by the prospect of our soon approaching trip to the Land of the Free. As much as I enjoy this foreign life, I really am looking forward to three months back in the U S of A.

No comments: