Thursday, June 21, 2012

A sense of humor

Patch was a late talker. He didn't really start speaking until we had been in Manila for about six months, just before his second birthday. Various pediatricians in three countries assured us this was normal for a kid who grew up in HYD consistently hearing three distinct languages (English, Telugu, Hindi) only to then add Tagalog/Taglish to the mix. English, though (especially living on the US compound), is even more prevalent in  Manila than HYD ... so I think his developing brain finally figured out the language thing.

The last nine months have been pretty amazing to observe his language acquisition. At pre-school graduation in May, a number of other parents even commented at the end of the event how they couldn't believe Patch was the same kid. When he started he barely spoke a few words, and now he can complete full sentences with multiple clauses on relatively abstract thoughts (ok, abstract for a two year old. I won't brag too much).

Lately, I've been quite amused by a budding sense of humor, almost sarcastic ... taking after his father for sure! As I left for a work reception this evening, I gave him a kiss and told him I loved him. He replied, "Bye bye Doo Doo Nuts" (not sure where Doo Doo Nuts came from, but it's been a common phrase around the house for some time, unfortunately). To which I replied: "No, Patch. The correct answer is, 'I love you too, Mama!' "

Patch gets this sneaky grin on his face, looks me squarely in the eye, and says, "I love you so much - DADA!" and turns to Greg and laughs. William was forever the serious and intense baby and toddler ... nice to have Patch around to lighten things up. 

No comments: