Friday, March 1, 2013

Manila Hotel

Visiting the historic Manila Hotel was on my "bucket list" -- it's so close to work, I felt like I really should check it out.  But, like anything close and easily accessible, I hadn't.  And with just 60 days left in country, I figured I probably wouldn't get around to it.

Luckily, some other friends at work had the same feeling (we should, but probably won't) and not being sleep deprived parents of a baby (and thus not lacking energy to plan anything), they put together an impromptu dinner party.  Deal: everyone stays at work until 5:30 to work on EERs (our annual review; ugh), and then we'd get cocktails in the lobby, followed by dinner in the Champagne Room (which opened at 7).  Sounded great, so I agreed even though it meant an extra session in the lactation room...

We arrived at 5:30 to find a mob of young girls waiting for a K-Pop star to make his appearance - we never did see the star, despite occasional screams when they thought he might be coming out.  We did enjoy the "signature cocktail" (gin, calamansi, and sprite) while waiting for the restaurant to open -- and were very surprised to find the lobby so beautiful and well maintained.  The hotel is not in a posh part of town (though in the 1900-30s, it certainly was) ... and is not on the usual list of hotels for official visitors, so our expectations were low - but, actually, it was quite pleasant and beautiful.

The restaurant really reminded me of pictures from 1920s and 30s Hollywood super clubs, with small sofas, fake silver trees, funky chandeliers, and waiters in short white dinner coats.  With such an atmosphere - and a quiet live pianist instead of too-loud music soundtrack only too common in Manila restaurants - we all remarked that we had no idea why the place didn't have better reputation around town.

The food was fantastic - I ordered escargot (delicious garlic butter sauce!) and chateaubriand (very tender and actually cooked rare).  It wasn't cheap (PHP 5,000 per couple for cocktail, one bottle of wine for table, appetizer, main course, and coffee (sorbet and after-diner chocolate gratis) -- we were all too full to try dessert, though I bet it would have been delicious too!), but was well worth the price.  Even the big foodie in our group was impressed!

The McArthur Suite was closed for a movie shoot, so I don't think I'll manage to see that before we go (never say never, though...) - but I highly recommend the Champagne Room for a special occasion meal, or just when you want a little treat out of the ordinary.

1 comment:

Pulisha said...

Great write-up, Pam. We had such a good time with you guys. I can't believe you guys are only here for two more months!