Thursday, March 28, 2013

Cleaning out the food

I was so excited to move to Manila and have food available that I purchased on impulse some things I hadn't seen in two years in India.  Like frozen spinach and wheat germ.

Two years later, these are still unused.  Mostly because, I admit, my nanny is a great cook - and I pretty much have completely outsourced meal planning and preparation after giving some basic guidelines (ie, protein and veggie at every meal).  I think she's never used frozen spinach or wheat germ, so there they've sat.

Holy Week is a dead time in Manila - the city clears out as everyone one goes "to the provinces" to be with family.  (I think I have some old posts about this?  I'll have to check later and edit this post.)  in 2011, we had just moved here during Holy Week and it caught us by surprise.  2012 we spent in Burma.  This year, in theory, I'm spending the staycation sorting our house in preparation for moving.  Mostly, this involves me saying I'm going to sort, but instead I've just been hanging out, ignoring the daunting task.

Or creating other activities - like inviting two families over for lunch today.  I am justifying this by baking chicken using wheat germ and making spinach soup.  I'll also have couscous salad.  What better way to clean out the pantry than through a party?  

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I recently found bottles in our pantry that we took from Nathan when he left! I gave them to Sophie and sent her to the laundry room and let her empty them down the drain, not really caring anymore if they were still good or not. She had a great time.