Monday, September 2, 2013

Tasty lunch from nothing

Weekend lunch can be tricky.  After a morning of playing, I want something substantial, more than a sandwich.  I am generally tired of left overs, but also not in the mood to cook - quite a conundrum, right?

This weekend I happened upon a successful experiment.  It all started with baking up a box of Trader Joe's Spinach and Kale Bites for Ian (yes, the baby eats the healthiest of anyone in the family - lots of fruits, veggies and whole grains.  Somehow after the age of two, kids get picky; witness: Patch and his peanut butter diet).  Ian ate up three, leaving quite a few.  I didn't just want to eat those ... so in a stroke of enlightenment, I threw them in the saucepan with a can of black beans, a can of diced tomatoes, some garlic and cumin.  Out came a poor (wo)man's chili 10 minutes later, but a tasty one at that.  Plus, it made enough for three meals.

If I were good, I would make this every weekend and have three lunches worth on hand for the week.  In reality, though, I don't think I will be that good.

I've tried not to purchase too many prepared foods - overseas, such things are generally not available, so we were quite good about eating "real" food.  Prep time takes longer, but we never had to worry about what additives our kids (or we!) were eating.  However, there's something to be said about having some simple canned and frozen things on hand to whip up a quick and tasty meal.  

No comments: