Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Observations on America: The Metro Dad

I've been meaning to post this one for awhile ... but finding time between unpacking (almost done) and start of school (pretty much done) has been tricky.  So, one month later, here's my next observation on my new-yet-my-own country.

I was walking south from Farragut North metro station on 17th St NW one morning about a month ago, and noticed three dads (one in a suit, one in business casual, one very casual) pushing toddlers in strollers.  As we four waited to cross the street, the three dads looked at each other with a knowing smile - seemed to me like all of them were "in the know" as a metro-commuting dad.  In many other countries, seeing a dad take charge of getting the kids to daycare and home again would be unthinkable, but on my metro commute I see at least one such pair every day.

Articles on the working mother have abounded the last six months or so, from Anne Marie Slaughter to Sheryl Sandberg and many women in between.  I've commented to friends that not many have addressed the dads who - in America, at least - increasingly put forth their fair share for child care.  And I wonder why more fathers aren't writing about grueling work hours that prohibit them from spending more time with their kids.   In our family right now, Greg has the much more reliable schedule, for which I'm quite thankful so that at least one parent can be home by 6 or 6:30 for dinner time.  Greg isn't a "Metro Dad," but giving credit where credit is due, three cheers for supportive husbands who help keep the home front working, so some of us ladies don't have these acute internal debate about working or not. 

No comments: