Friday, August 23, 2013

The last major transition of the move

School starts on Monday.  While in the long run this will be wonderful (finally in a routine, meet regular friends, etc etc), in the immediate future, this means change.  Again.

While we had been talking with Wm about this for a while, this afternoon's back to school night really made it hit home, obviously.  We walked into the school with our neighbor, whose son will also be in first grade.  The walk to school was fine - and he didn't flip out when we entered the building, which surprised me, because usually loud crowds of people moving in many different directions really unsettle him.  BUT, then he found out he was in a different classroom than either of the two boys he has met already.  And he declared he was not going to school.

So, the next 30 minutes we spent sitting in the hallway outside of the four first grade classrooms.  Honestly, I didn't know what to do - I knew Monday would be really bad if he didn't see the classroom today, but I didn't want to force him and make things worse, so there we sat.  Eventually, I managed to convince him to walk over to the door of the class and look in the room.

That's, honestly, when I was a bit annoyed with his new teacher.  I am kind of disappointed to start off the year that way, so I'm hoping it's just a one time thing.  I had already explained to the teacher that Wm was new to the school and having a hard time coming over.  I had already left him in the hallway for a few minutes so I could do the necessary admin things in the classroom (sign up on the email list, sign up for parent teacher conferences, etc).  So, I was hoping that when we finally made it over to the doorway, the teacher would welcome him in.

Instead, she kept talking about her summer beach vacation with a parent from last year for a full five minutes.  I could feel Wm starting to slip away and get nervous again, so I finally interrupted.  I really didn't like doing that - especially in front of Wm, since we are working really hard with him to teach him not to interrupt.  But, it was open house night.  And, as great as North Carolina might have been for the teacher and this parent from last year, I had to make sure we (and by "we" - I mean me, the teacher and Wm) didn't have a disaster on our hands come Monday.  I was polite (I think!), but I still felt a bit like a pushy parent.  *sigh*

In any case, Wm at least managed to say hello to his teacher and listen to her when she said she would be meeting the bus at the front of the school on Monday.  He walked with me to the cafeteria and listened when the cafeteria lady nicely explained how to buy lunch if he wanted to do that.  He even walked into a super hectic cafeteria to get a juice box and cookie -- though when I tried to talk to a few parents, that was the end for him.  We had to get home - and get home fast.

So, I didn't manage to sign up for the PTA, buy him a new school t-shirt, or figure out what kind of school supplies he needs.  Luckily, I took next Monday - Wednesday off from work, so fingers crossed I can scramble on the first day to finish things up.  I have no idea what to expect Monday afternoon, but fingers crossed it is not a disaster. 

3 comments:

Karen said...

All my prayers and best wishes will be with you all for a successful start.

Pulisha said...

Oh, Pam, my heart goes out to you and Wm. I think this is one of the hardest parts of moving around so frequently. Kudos to you for keeping your cool, and big hugs to Wm!

Unknown said...

I expected the same scenario taking Amy to her first day of school. She bit her hand throughout the meet and greet several days before school started. I knew it would be the same that first day, so I dreaded it. She wore her new clothes, new red shoes and new hair ribbons, and loved how she looked. She walked into the class line-up and another girl, who noticed that she was wearing the same shoes, pointed down to her feet and they giggled and happily walked into the classroom. No tears, no clingy, barely a wave good-bye. After school play dates got her into the social scene and she was thrilled to go to school everyday. Fitting in that first day will make a huge difference. Do whatever it takes to make him feel cool. It's a great ice breaker! Good luck. I'll be anxious to hear how it goes.