Saturday, September 21, 2013

Make that two things I won't have

When Ian was born, older friends with grown sons told me only having boys was great --- they never went through the mother-son angst to which mother-daughter relationships are prone.  The only "regret" I ever heard was that they were never the first grandma to see the grand baby ... (Though, with Ian, the way his arrival and travel schedules worked out, my mother-in-law can say she has been there, done that).  Anyway, like I said, that was really the only "drawback" I had ever heard.

Except today, after a month of friends posting first ballet class pictures, I admit, I am a little sad.  Dancing was such a part of my life growing up - and even now, if I watch a particularly moving ballet, I still imagine me being able to move like that in my minds eye (though, I know in reality I'm not in that great shape anymore!).  In theory, I probably could sign Wm up in the young boys class at the Maryland Youth Ballet and see him dance in white t-shirt and black tights ... and, honestly, he loves dancing, so he might even enjoy it.

But, in reality, I won't. That kid has enough to work through with moving around every 2-4 years and making new friends that I don't need to add "boy ballerina" to his list of oddities.  Fingers crossed he keeps his rhythm and in 20+ years at his wedding, he takes some ballroom dance lessons and sweeps me off my feet.  Now, that's something I will enjoy!

3 comments:

Mary Lou said...

but Pam, some young man must sweep the beautiful ballerina off her feet.

Mary Lou said...

when I find out how to do it, I think I should change my photo here. will do, i remember how cute Greg was and all the cousins, in this family photo.

Mary Lou said...

is William going totake dance lessons
? I would vote yes, if asked, but it depends on the style of dancing. keep us posted.