Sunday, June 2, 2013

Two weeks to find Ordinary

The time it took us to unpack five of six shipments and fix the immediate needs of our new house. 

Our new house, BTW, is great. Maybe I'll always look for a house this way -- think about my objective criteria and then have someone else do the shopping!  Except, I don't actually plan to shop for another house for 20 years.  While most people I speak to are aghast we even considered this, through some Foreign Service blogging friends, I've discovered what we did is not uncommon at all.  I knew the FS has forced some quick decisions on getting hitched, but had no idea how many people had done what we did for the house. Once again, I contemplate the weird life we live that seems completely normal to us, but, in reality, is not -- emphasizing again that "normal" and "weird" are relative words.

I digress.  Today is the first day we could spend doing "ordinary" things.  Perhaps appropriate since the sermon at the local parish church we visited today (Grace Episcopal - I think we'll stick with it) was about how today is the start of the "ordinary" church season (no more special days until Advent, just endless Sundays after Pentecost) and we should take the time to reflect on our "ordinary" faith. Perfect timing for that reminder, since we need to start thinking about what will be our "ordinary" life. 

Our first ordinary day started with simple chores around the house, church at 10:30, lunch with family friends from Manila who have returned from DC, Wm and Greg going to a USA v. Germany soccer game while I stayed home with napping boys and catching up with our Manila friend, then - since boys from both families were having fun - ordering in Chinese and steak subs after the soccer game.  Except for collapsing a pile of boxes, not much unpacking-related work at all. 

More on home leave and the house later, but tonight, I'm relishing in the ordinariness of the day, signing off, and going to bed by 9:30. 

No comments: