Friday, June 28, 2013

No words

Friends of ours experienced a unique loss today: after a week of being parents, they had to return a baby to a social worker because the birth mother asked for him back.  I'm crying for them as I write this, and if you have the strength, you can read their experience here:

http://dtbradshaw.blogspot.com/2013/06/goodbye-once-more-this-time-to-aleki.html

Our friends have had to jump through hoops to become parents and, in the process, buried two babies.  Concurrently since the very end of 2012, her seventh pregnancy and adoption proceedings both tenuously progressed - each day alternate ways of becoming parents appearing more likely, but no guarantees.

Imagine their surprise a week ago when they brought home the adopted baby and it seemed like they really would have "twins."  I no doubt they had the strength (and stamina!) to take on that responsibility.  As if fate or divine intervention or whatever you wish to call it had meant for those two boys to be with this couple, one natural born and one adopted, both loved endlessly.

We were supposed to go meet Aleki tomorrow and celebrate his arrival - and Hiva's continued pregnancy - with them.  Instead, I know they must feel a very unique grief right now which I can't imagine.  I gave my own children an extra hug at bedtime, being thankful for my simple and blessed life of three pregnancies with three baby boys, and pray that her pregnancy continues and that Tau'aho is born strong and healthy.

No comments: