Sunday, June 16, 2013

On Leaving Montessori

Sadly, since we couldn't find a house near the DCPS charter Montessori school within our size needs and price budget - and since we don't have $25,000 in the budget for private school - Wm will be rotating out of the Montessori curriculum and joining Montgomery County public schools.  To be specific, joining MCPS isn't sad - just leaving Montessori is. And, he'd have to make the switch eventually, but if we could have, we would have delayed it at least three years (one Montessori "cycle" is three years).

We were reluctant Montessori parents; it was not a curriculum we sought out - but we were strong converts after seeing Wm blossom and really love his school and learning. I brought some parents for observation in his classroom, but those used to "normal" play-based curriculums thought it was a little crazy, with very little group work, minimal direction from the teacher, no assessments other than teacher observation, etc. I found myself on the defensive quite often, much to my surprise. But, the classroom moves at the child's pace, helps a child set order to his life himself, and shows kids through a mixed-age environment how children of differing abilities can harmoniously co-exist. His class was so peaceful.

As I started to explain how a normal US public school classroom worked, Wm had all sorts of questions: What do you mean all the kids need to do the same thing at the same time? What if one kid is in a math mood but it's language arts time? What if one kid needs more time to finish a work or another kid finishes up more quickly? What if at the end of the year one kid is good at math but isn't good at reading yet - how do you know if that kid can go to the next level? His list went on, and I had some answers.

Wm's initial verdict? "That sounds like a silly school. I think we should go back to Seafront so you can send me to my own school where kids can learn what they're in the mood for and it's OK to take extra time if you need it - or go faster if you want to." At least when it comes to that, I have to agree with him, but come August 26, we all will be adjusting whether we like it or not. 

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I hope his adjustment goes well! I worry about the same thing for Sophie one day. I'm looking at Montessori schools in Rhode Island but I can't make any commitments until we're actually there, and then hope they have spots available so close to the start of the year. She was in Gymboree for the summer program and by the end of it she was anxious to be back at her Montessori school. She likes the fun and noise of Gymboree once a week, but on a daily basis it was wearing on her.