Thursday, June 20, 2013

Observations on America: DC Metro Area and Accessibility

I was in a meeting last week with a woman heading out into the field -- she had asked a group of think tank types to brief her on changes in the country to which she was headed.  Though she had just left the country three years ago, she said: "the danger in returning to a place you have been is that you think you know it and don't recognize that in your absence the country had changed."

That comment struck a chord with me as we've been adjusting to being back in the good old US of A.  Which got me thinking that I'm in a pretty good place right now to observe what has changed (for the good and the bad) while we've been gone for 4.5 years, with only minor vacations home.  And perhaps that, dear readers, can provide the interesting cultural commentary side of the blog (interspersed with the usual parenting and child rambles) during this domestic tour.

My first observation from two weeks of commuting on metro is the accessibility of the DC metro area.  I know from friends with kids with special needs that the area (like anywhere) is not universally accessible to people with disabilities and advocates strongly push for further increased access.  But, especially after my time abroad, I am struck by how many people with visible disabilities (mobility, visual and hearing impaired are outwardly observable in many instances) independently move around the city.  I'm sure the constant change in elevator outages on metro annoy them to no end, but I really admire their independence. And, honestly, feel a bit of pride for my fellow citizens who occasionally - and tactfully - lend a helping hand in a friendly way when someone is looking for it.

I had partly wondered why disability access was part of the congressionally mandated annual Human Rights Report; I personally (previously and privately) felt like this issue could be addressed elsewhere.  But, now, observing how an accessible transit system (for all its flaws) has facilitated independence for many persons with disabilities, I get it.  And for anyone out there wondering if the money spent and regulations passed in this country to ensure accessibility are worth it, I vote that they are - beyond just being a "nice" thing to do, but because living life to the fullest is a human right. 

No comments: