Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Observations on America: Excess

Christmas season is a time for excess - but that's not what has me thinking about how much "stuff" is available in America.  After all, Christmas / New Year's / pick your major local holiday is generally a time for excess no mater what country one is in.  

This month, two things made me realize just how wealthy my own country is.  First, NPR aired ads from the PajamaGram company - matching p.j.s for the whole family, and pets, too!  Yes, Americans can apparently afford "lounge wear" for their dogs and cats at $20 (monogramming extra).  Now, I suppose I shouldn't mock this so much, considering I just purchased a monogramed rain coat for my sister's moisture-averse dog for Christmas.  But, all the same, the ads on such a mainstream radio station - emphasizing the pet aspect - caught my attention.  

Next, we're considering adding a patio in our back yard.  My idea is simply that: a patio with pervious flooring so we can enjoy the great weather this spring/summer/fall.  I've been searching and searching online for some good ideas so I can speak knowledgeably with whoever comes to lay the stone, to no avail.  All the sites I can find talk about "outdoor rooms" - full kitchens, water features, dining grottos, cantilevered benches, etc etc and so on.  Whatever has happened to the normal American back yard patio?

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Okay, so Dad got my stepmom PJs from Pajamagram for Christmas - gingerbread men skiing on candy canes - with a matching set for her little yappy dog, not only monogrammed but with their full names. They are legitimately cute.

I also was struck by the wealth of America when I went home for Christmas when I saw the exurbs of huge new subdivisions, apartment complexes, and strip malls that had sprung up seemingly overnight on I-45 south where there used to be miles and miles of nothing. I am not sure how I feel about that.