Sunday, December 8, 2013

Logic cannot explain

While we're enjoying the first snow of the year, someone else apparently enjoyed a $3000 stay at a resort in California on our behalf.  Capital One called us to alert of the charge (thankfully, due to snow, we hadn't been planning any Christmas shopping today!).

I identified myself, gave Greg's name as the primary card holder, along with the last 4 of his SSN and date of birth.  Confirmed we were in MD and no where near CA.  Should be easy, right?  Not.  She needed to actually speak with Greg to confirm.  The identifying info he gave (aside from his deeper voice?) - his name, last 4 of his SSN, and date of birth.  And then also confirmed we were in MD and not CA.

These interactions always amaze me.  I could have called, lowered my voice a bit, and just said I was Greg.  I could have handed the phone to my brother-in-law (had he been around) who could easily have just repeated the info I first said.  Makes no sense at all, but whatever.  At least Capital One believed us that we weren't at the resort!

1 comment:

Erika said...

An advantage of being married to another woman; we have impersonated each other many a time.