Tuesday, January 29, 2013

House of Representatives

Though I'm a Political Officer, I realized last week that I had yet to set foot in the Department of Foreign Affairs or either of the Philippine houses of congress.  I deal more with Rule of Law and NGOs, so I've left those "traditional" political contacts to my colleagues ... except I decided for my own education, perhaps I should broaden my perspective.  Thus, I volunteered today to take notes during a meeting at the House of Representatives.  My colleagues were only too happy to let me take the hour-plus drive (each way) to attend.  Win Win all around. 

The building, while not historic, certainly has an aura about it, like the U.S. House.  Large, deep open hallways, with small air-con rooms, make the best of operating the building energy efficiently.  Benches line the walk ways, on which were seated people of all walks of life, waiting to speak to their representatives -- democracy at work!

During the meeting, neither side strayed from official talking points, which was to be expected.  So while nothing too interesting there (and not like you'd read about it on this blog even if there were!), I did have one unique experience. 

I arrived two hours early with my local staffer, so we could go over the lay of the land.  I had warned the local staffer that I'd need about 20 minutes to pump around 4:00 - and since she used to work in the House, I'd appreciate if she could show me the quietest restroom.  Being so considerate, she took it a step further, and inquired in the protocol office if they had a lactation room.  (to ask that had never even occured to me)

Turns out, one of the protocol officers has a three month old and just returned to work - so they had an empty room they set aside for her to pump, which they kindly allowed me to use.  After a quick pump, the other new mom and I had a conversation about pros and cons of different pumps (she uses Avent which was also the most common brand in India - I use Ameda), totally gibberish to the others.  Diplomacy over pumping :)   Ian sends his thanks to the House.

No comments: