Friday, January 18, 2013

A skill to acquire

A week ago Friday, I squeezed my four-month-post-partum-self into my "official" suit (a timeless navy with white cord trimming saved for interviews and the first day of work at new post) for an on-camera TV interview.  Honestly, I was more excited about fitting into the suit than being on TV.  :)

A CBS-affiliate journalist was visiting Manila to get background footage for a story he was doing on Filipino oil rig workers killed in an explosion.  (previous segment here)  Trafficking is my portfolio, so our public affairs section agreed for me to give him 20 minutes off record for background and 5 minutes on camera with two specific questions.

I have no idea if the footage he took of me will make it onto his clip, but I do have two thoughts about the experience:

1. It is really hard to speak in a single coherent sentence when consciously trying to do so. Ie, to create that "sound byte" when talking extemporaneously and not reading off of anything.  This will be a skill to acquire, should I ever have a job putting me in the media eye. I certainly don't have it now!

2. New Orleans must really love Drew Brees.  The journalist and camera man asked where was home, and when I responded Austin, the first comment was - "Oh, that's where Drew Brees is from. Do you know him?"  "Not anymore," I answered, "but he was in my high school physics class."  That was apparently enough for the camera man to put me down in his "cool" book.  

No comments: