Monday, December 12, 2011

Poor Patch

I've heard it's common among little siblings, though I suppose I'd have to let Beth or Tracy confirm - Greg and I both being first children, we wouldn't know for sure (well, quasi-first in my case, I consider myself a first child who also has four older siblings, so whatever. Families are what you make of them!).

But, what I hear is common in kids is an unloving devotion from the younger child to the older one.  Call it Monkey-See-Monkey-Do, or Idolization, or My Big Bro Taught Me All I Need to Know, or whatever - but Patch definitely suffers from it.  Anything Kuya does, he wants to do. Anything Kuya has, he needs to have. Anytime Kuya yells at him for spoiling his toys, he apologizes (even if Wm is being unreasonable).  Kuya is the be all, end all.

Tonight was a bit heart breaking for Patch.  Since Feb, the two boys have shared a room.  Mind you, Patch was 15 months in February, so Patch can't remember a time when he *didn't* sleep with Wm.  But, tonight, Wm decided he didn't like how his toes touched the end of his bed when he stretched them out, so he refused to sleep in his bed and went to the guest room to sleep.  Patch was miserable!  He kept running to the door saying, "Kuya outside! Kuya outside!" and trying to open the door to let Wm in.  Poor Patch.  But Wm was resolute and stayed in the guest bedroom.  (though, to his credit, he did get up to see why Patch was crying so much -- which, actually, only make things worse for Patch.)

Eventually, when I was able to calm Patch down enough, he realized he was really tired, and with the first normal deep breath, he practically fell asleep.  So, they sleep in separate rooms tonight - and Greg has promised that he will modify the IKEA bed tomorrow after work to extend it for Wm.  Otherwise, Patch might just have his heart broken.

*Kuya = Big Brother in Tagalog

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor thing!

On a side note, I'm also a first kid, with two older siblings! (I came along on my dad's second marriage, the first two kids were adults by then!)

Elaine said...

My heart is breaking. Update soon please