Friday, September 4, 2009

Sheets

It's the little things that catch me off guard here. I expected differences in traffic, in food, in English communication, in cleanliness ... but I didn't think I'd have problems with sheets! As I think about it more, it doesn't surprise me, but my present predicament still caught me off guard.

Here's the situation: some how, last night, in all my squirming trying to find a comfortable position for sleep (it's getting more difficult to do), I ripped a hole in my bottom sheet. I suspect there must have been a small hole in the sheet in which my toe got caught. But, I'm not really sure. All I know is that I heard a ripping noise and my fitted sheet was torn.

This morning, I went to the dresser which has all the linens, only to discover I had no more fitted sheets left except the set for the guest room. And the "welcome" sheets provided by work for us to use when we first arrive and then leave are only flat sheets (no elastic) that fit awkwardly on US-sized beds, especially with a squirmy pregnant woman. And, even if fitted queen sheets were available here, all stores are closed in mourning of the Chief Minister's sudden death in a helicopter crash.

I thought I had brought more than two sets of queen sheets, but apparently I hadn't. It's not really something I ever thought about in DC, what with 2 BB&Bs and numerous other linen stores readily accessible seven days a week. Regardless, here I am, thankful that we don't have a house guest right now. And thankful that we have pouch mail so I can get a good supply of sheets in 3 - 4 weeks!

No comments: