Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Prego update - staying in India

On Monday evening, we had the last "scan" (ie, ultrasound or sonogram) to check up on what was going on with Floyd. Sept 15th is the last day I can easily fly without a dr note, so we wanted to double check that we had no known reason to return to the US. The good news is (for us!) that everything is going well. All measurements appear normal, all body parts visible, etc etc. Though perhaps some in the US will be sad not to have the opportunity for me to visit (and to see the newborn), I think all will agree that it's better not to have found anything wrong!

So, stay put I will. The next appointment is in 3.5 weeks, and then after that I'll go every week for a check up. The date is getting closer! And still no boy's name selected.

We just started asking about all the newborn pre-screening tests done in HYD, now that we've decided we're staying. I'm not 100% sure what's available, but Dr Beth did some research and found a lab that will do all the regular US-screening work for $199 (http://www.perkinelmergenetics.com/StepOneNewbornScreening.htm if you're interested). They send a complete kit and instructions - it all seems quite simple, actually. I'm thinking we might just do this in addition to whatever screening is done at my hospital, simply because it will be easier for US doctors to read US lab results - and a doctor won't get confused when we bring Floyd back to the US around age 1 for its check up there.

This type of service makes me think (a) how small the world really is today and (b) how different life in my line of work must be compared with 20+ years ago.

No comments: