Saturday, May 9, 2009

Summer Golfing

Golf takes a lot of practice.  I'm reminded of that every time I try to play.  But yesterday's round was noteworthy not so much because of the game as because of the conditions.  We started at 10:30am under a sunny sky and with a pleasant breeze.  After a few holes, a threesome passed us, and I realized that we hadn't seen any other players.  Pam later said that she didn't see anyone from her perch at the pool (where William played for four hours), and we didn't see anyone for the rest of our round, either.  By the end I understood why.  The breeze died down, the sun got hotter (102 degrees the time I checked), my muscles remembered that they hadn't golfed in two years, and my hands were covered in blisters from the clubs.  On one of the rare occasions when I found a ball that I had hit into the scrub, a lizard was sunning itself on top of the ball.  I hardly sweat at all, but drank four bottles of water and a soda, and still felt dehydrated by the end.  Still, it was nice to be outside, and the company was good.  Most importantly, William had a great time at the pool.  

No comments: