Monday, May 18, 2009

In order to eat raw fruits and veggies

There have been requests for more information on daily life. So, I decided to take some pictures of the process of eating raw fruits and veggies, which, admittedly, we don't do often because of the effort involved. The first picture below is of: (1) the bleach bowl where the veggies soak for 20 minutes then (2) the rinse bowl, rinsing in bottled water, of course.
Luckily, because there is no cold storage here, everything tastes fresh and fantastic when washed. As you can see from the close up below, the colors are beautiful, too. This is a selection of various chilis, tomatoes, baby cucumbers (the round yellow and green striped things), carrots and apples.
Usually I only make the effort for apples, honestly, and everything else gets cooked. I suppose I could ask Sarwary to wash and clean everything if I really wanted fresh, raw fruits and veggies. But, honestly, I don't always trust even the bleach to kill the bad germs, so I've mostly just given up salad an unpealed fruits and vegetables for the duration of our stay here. Luckily, most fruits have a peal!

1 comment:

Annie said...

I've always wondered: do you soak lettuce in bleach? And if you do, can you get it all rinsed?
I helped make dinner once in a missionary's home in Dominican Republic, and she soaked lots of things but not the carrots because I peeled them. But wouldn't the germs get on your hands while you peel and back onto the carrot?