Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Love the Logic

As long time friends - but maybe not casual readers - know, I have a soft spot in my heart for math and logic.  Had a certain professor at Wellesley not gone on maternity leave my senior year - forcing a different professor whom I didn't get along with so well to teach the senior seminar class - I probably would have ended up majoring in math.  As it is, I simply nurture that enjoyment in small ways, and more and more recently that's been through Wm!

Since he was a small kid, I could tell we'd be on the same wave length, when it came to math, at least.  At 2, he had great geospatial awareness parallel parking his tricycle.  I never had to explain addition or subtraction, he just inherently seemed to know it.  I'm sure we'll get into some epic battles in the future, when I yell at him for sloppy hand writing and not keeping his decimals lined up, but for now it's all fun.

Tonight we were talking about the difference between mayors and the president, and he wanted to know how many times someone can be elected president (2), how much time between each election (4 yrs), and when the next election would be (2016).  After I answered these questions, he was quiet for a split second, and then said, "well, that means President Obama wasn't president when I was born.  Who was?"

I have to admit, I was pretty proud of him - and enjoyed seeing how he pulled the fuzzy new concepts back to his immediate self.  (obviously, since this post is a little boastful.  But, hey, parents are allowed to do that sometimes, right?)  I doubt he could have explained quickly how he knew it was a different president when he was born … he just did.  

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Totally love it. Of course, when the two parents of said child met in Calculus class, ......the possibilties are unlimited.