Saturday, August 4, 2012

See you later, Manila :)

I'm about to check in for the dreaded plane flight and am just waiting for G to get back from the store so I can finish packing (how did I not notice until last night that Patch had exactly two diapers left???). Three days of work in Manila - done. One busy day of packing - done. One day of last minute odds & ends packing - half way through. G needs to get back to get down a suitcase so I can decide if I want to use the duffle or a third big one. Hmm...

Luckily, I'm feeling calm and not going to attempt to climb our step stool to reach the suitcase. It's one of those things I know I very likely could do, but why risk losing my balance and falling today, of all days? Not worth it. Better to just write this post and be patient.

For the record, 5.5 days left for my zen count down :)

Yesterday, our two helpers decided it would be easier for me to pack if they took the boys "gala." (i.e., out and about) And they were adament this was just for fun since they wouldn't see the boys for so long - not overtime. Of course I said yes! I think a train ride, hamburgers at Jolibee, and some ice cream will be involved. Off they went at 9:30 with our camera (of course! this is the Philippiness - anything and everything must be documented) and some fun spending money.

But for now, I don't think I have much to do. Sadly, the olympic channel here is only showing badminton. While it's interesting to a point, after two hours, I'm ready for something else.

Packing up for three months is a little bizarre, especially in this life, where I had to think about which friends will be transferring from post during that time. And surprises pop up: I had dinner with a 2000 Wellesley alum I've met here and her husband just accepted a transfer to Germany (private sector) ... so that was a goodbye I wasn't expecting. Luckily, if I forget anything, G is coming in a few weeks. And America has stores. Lots and lots of stores. Like Target. 

1 comment:

Elaine said...

and you have willing shopping agents or baby sitters here in DC. Wait until you see the groceries, the three boxes from drugstore.com, the two huge boxes of toys, the .... I'm excited.