Monday, April 30, 2012

Easter concept, check

I think I posted about 10 months ago about how we were going to make an effort to regularly attend church services here, as we found an English speaking congregation (bonus points for being Episcopal) and enjoyed parts of the rambling bishop's sermon (usually about half, then I get lost). I'd been wondering just what William was learning at the Sunday School, but decided not to worry too much focusing instead on the habit of going to church and the elusive skill of sitting still for the eucharistic prayers. The later alone is an uphill battle! Since they always came back from Sunday School with a weekly "parents an me" sheet usually about that week's reading, I figured the two teachers must have some curriculum.

Today, I chanced to overhear a conversation between Wm and a four year old neighbor, who attends the other expat-oriented protestant church. He asked her some question, and she replied, "I don't know, I guess God made it that way." Then:
Friend: "You know about God, right?"
Wm: "Yes, we go to church, too."
Friend: "Well, did you know God - I mean Jesus - died?"
Wm: "Noo. Easter already happened. Jesus is alive again."
Friend: "Oh yeah. I forgot."

Anyway, obviously the Easter concept taught in Sunday School sunk in, and our endeavor to foster a general Christian awareness is taking some roots.  

1 comment:

Elaine said...

and from the roots, the tree will grow. Love it, Mo/Elaine