Saturday, January 28, 2012

Mamma Mia!

The ad slogan says, "the world's No 1 show comes to Manila!" I'm not sure if it is the world's #1 show - but I did have a fun evening.

I had decided way back in September that I wanted to get tickets. But one thing led to another, and by the time the new year rolled around, I hadn't purchased any. And friends had already bought theirs, and I didn't feel like going alone, and Greg refused to go, so I figured I was out of luck. Except at the last minute, a friend of a friend had a cancellation in her group - so ticket-problem solved! Not only that, I also got to chat with some of the USAID folks - their offices are in a completely different location, so casual "cross pollination" is rare.

I don't think I've been to a show like this in some time - certainly never in HYD, and not on home leave, so that makes it at least three years. Word on the street is that Phantom of the Opera is coming to Manila before I leave post, so perhaps I'll have a chance to see another. Better take advantage of these things while I'm living in a city that can offer the opportunity!

What I enjoyed most, though, was remembering Wm's Christmas show. His class did dance numbers to two songs, his favorite of which was "Mamma Mia." He still - one month later - will break into song and do the dance. Thank goodness I have a short video clip from that performance :) So, as I sat watching a professional broadway production, what I was really thinking about was Wm dancing seriously (he does everything seriously!) on his school stage ... and teared up a bit, actually. Not sure why, but I missed him even though he was just a mile down the street. Seemed like he should have been watching it with me.

[For the record, Greg left the city for a night diving trip. That's how much he wanted an excuse not to hear Abba!]

2 comments:

Mary Lou said...

Pam, I can't resist: you wrote once with William's grades, and I just HAVE to know...has he improved yet in "Flower arrancing"?

Mary Lou said...

okay, it is "Flower arranging....not arrancing" but then I knew that.