Sunday, January 1, 2012

Disney on Ice

We started 2012 doing something I've never done before, nor had much inclination to try: seeing a Disney on Ice show at the Areneta Coliseum. I don't remember ever asking my parents to bring me to this kind of show - or even discussing the idea of seeing one with my little sisters. Thus, this was not some sort of "relive my childhood" outing, subjecting my boys to an ice skating show. Seriously, despite some thoughts floating out there to the contrary, I don't regret only having boys (though this might change in 30 years when I realize for certain I won't get to help plan a wedding nor be the first grandma to hold their babies. But that's far off and I still have time to come to terms with such things.)

The decision to go stemmed from a few reasons. (1) Our Manila stay-cation has been a bit long without other distractions. Diving solved part of this problem, but one can only walk around a mall so many times - and, besides, the malls were all closed this morning. HORRORS. (2) In HYD, our big-production theatre entertainment options were limited, so the idea of going to a show was appealing. (3) Ticket prices ranged from $3 in the nosebleed section to $40 for ring-side. (4) With the city deserted for the New Year holiday, traveling the nine miles up EDSA actually had a high probability of taking a normal amount of time.

I called this morning and decided to splurge for the second-tier box seats, at about $25/seat. But, in a truly annoying experience, after the guy on the phone told me what section my seats would be in, he informed me that they were no longer selling tickets over the phone and I should come to the Coliseum to pick them up now. Not even Will Call. Um. Yeah. Not driving there and back twice in one day. In frustration, I childishly hung up the phone on him and called of the trip. Wm, however, promised not to be cranky the whole afternoon if we went. Since he had been pretty miserable to that point (not having had enough sleep yesterday), I acquiesced. Outing on again.

Wm kept his promise, and we made it up in record time - 23 minutes. Amazing. Love this city when it empties out! An hour before the show, though, only seats in non-reserved sections were left. Not really liking large crowds in any country (I once got freaked out at a firework display in Japan - yes, Japan, whose only rival is Germany for orderliness), I hesitated, envisioning throngs of people balancing children, bright red hotdogs, and soda pushing to get better seats ... me and my little boys tumbling down the steep steps. Greg's more sane mind prevailed, though, and he pointed out that since we had already driven there, that Wm's mood was picking up, and that Filipinos are generally non-confrontational, we should be fine. And, if we or the boys didn't like it, four tickets were only $33, so it wouldn't be a deal breaker to leave without seeing the show.

He was right. Everyone found seats in the "Upper B" section without commotion, and the audience was pleasant, minus the children screaming at the top of their lungs in excitement when the Disney characters appeared. The rest of the show progressed as I imagine such shows would in the USA, non-objectionable music and medium-skill level ice skating, but kids super excited seeing the characters moving.

Patch, not having much Disney awareness yet, spent most of the time "planking" between our seat and the wall in front of us, dancing at a particularly catchy tune, and trying to entice his brother to wrestle. Wm was enchanted by about 75% of the show and spent the other quarter of his time eating popcorn and trying to fend off his younger brother ("Yes, Patch, I love you, too, but can you get out of my way so I can watch?"). About five minutes before the end (two hours after our arrival) he announced he had had enough and wanted to go home. Seemed like a good idea to us so we didn't get caught in the crowd exiting.

All in all, I enjoyed it because it was a new thing to do with the boys - they're at an age where such outings can be really hit or miss, and this one was (thankfully) a hit. And it got us out of our usual Seafront playground or fresh fruit smoothie at MoA outing routine, to see a new side of Manila. Gas + parking + snacks + tickets totaled about $45 - not inconsequential, but not bank-breaking either - which is probably about the price of just one ticket at a similar show in the US. Can't complain!

4 comments:

Nazi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nazi said...

nice post.. do you have any twitter account ? i want to follow you for future updates.. what to do ????


Disney On Ice Dare To Dream Cleveland

Tomrobort said...

Blue Man Group Chicago Tickets

Mamma mia! Chicago Tickets

Disney On Ice Treasure Trove Rochester Tickets

I have checked out great number approaching different types of the ideas in front of,and consequently my partner and i am greetings which often can financial any almost any blogvendors read seem to be prefer just as worthless tutorials,you receive your own house are typically it's, i comparable to create ones own ideas,and as well , content become cheery and as well can sometimes discover one the latest,as well as composed respect the website sinceI have checked out great number approaching different types of the ideas in front of,and consequently my partner and i am greetings which often can financial any almost any blogvendors read seem to be prefer just as worthless tutorials,you receive your own house are typically it's, i comparable to create ones own ideas,and as well ,

Tomrobort said...

Ticketluck.com is the best choice for you to buy the tickets. Get your Wwe Raw Live Tickets now and catch the live and exciting fun! Wwe Raw Live Tickets now at very affordable, discounted and amazingly low prices.Discounts also available...
Wwe Raw Live Tickets