Friday, April 29, 2011

Communicating, as always

Many things in Manila are familiar - not because of the US influence - but because of the similarity with HYD. Probably that's why Wm and Patch are so happy here :)

Tonight, again, I was reminded how English can be the same, but different. And how just because something is written down on a "menu", that doesn't mean that's actually what will happen.

I find four critical elements in a good pedicure: exfoliation, cuticle and nail trimming, leg massage, and polish change. I've had three pedicures so far, and only managed to get either two or three aspects.

Tonight, I really thought I would succeed. I ordered off the menu what I thought I wanted and confirmed the two package names with the hostess, who repeated in Tagalog to Jenny, who was tending me. Exfoliation, check. Leg massage, check. Then, suddenly, Jenny disappeared into the back, telling me to relax and enjoy my book. I thought she would come back with the necessary items for the rest of the pedicure. Sadly, no luck. By the time I realized the miscommunication, 9:30 had rolled around and I was about to turn into a pumpkin. (no pun intended, Da)

This next week I'm off to experiment with a hair salon that comes with rave reviews for curly hair from a woman at work with hair just like mine. She reports the staff can concurrently do a pedicure and hair cut (wild!). I'll keep trying!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Three pedicures in a month? Geesh! Why didn't you go with me while you were here??