Friday, June 25, 2010

Timings

One thing to which I just cannot adjust here is the timing of things - of dinner and of store openings, in particular.

For instance, this morning, by 10AM I'm ready to go to the grocery store. After Patch was born, it's no longer feasible to stop at SPAR (my favorite) on the way home from the office (because of his feeding timings), so that leaves weekend mornings. But this store - like so many others - does not open until 11. I end up feeling like I have a dead hour when I'm ready to go, but no one is ready to have me. Hey, at least today it means I'll write this post!

Meal "timings" are another issue. From my travels, I know Americans eat comparatively early, with lunch starting around 11:30 or 12 and dinner at 5:30 or 6 not uncommon. But try finding any lunch spot here open before 12:30 or dinner before 7:30 and you'll be searching a long time. Even if a place does start that early, usually the wait and kitchen staff aren't really ready until 1PM or 8PM.

A colleague from work's last day in HYD was yesterday. Local staff asked him if he would consider a tour in India again. His reply? "Start serving dinner for official functions at 6:30 instead of 9, and I'll consider it." Appears I'm not the only one who prefers the earlier American style timings.

No comments: