Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Sari shopping, five years later

When Pam and I were in Bombay five years ago, one of the major tasks for the week was to go shopping for proper Indian attire for the wedding. I obviously have memories of this, but it's not something I think about in any detail too often. Yesterday, however, in the shuttle on the way back from work, we drove by one of the sari shops that we went to back then. I remember this one in particular because it's where we learned about the Indian style of shopping, in which the customer (in this case, one of the other wedding guests) says a curt "no" to any good that he/she doesn't like. There's no real concern about politeness, but it works - if you do it properly in a decent shop, the shopkeeper will quickly figure out which colors and patterns you're looking for. Anyway, would have been a deja vu moment if I didn't actually remember having been there. But it was pretty weird nonetheless.

No comments: