Monday, August 17, 2009

Prego update, IV

This has nothing to do with strange experiences in India. Just an update for those of you following along at home :)

Everything is, as hoped, going normally. I got my Rhogam shot with only minor trouble, so preventative measures for me being Rh- and Greg being Rh+ are covered. The next - and likely last - sonogram is scheduled for Labor Day weekend. I'm not sure how appointments will work after 32 weeks gestation. In the US, I'd start going every other week, but my doctor here takes a much more hands off approach if everything is going OK (which it is).

We received a baby present today (thanks, Doebbler!), and I had to explain to William that he couldn't open it until Floyd was on the outside. He kept lifting up my shirt to pat my belly and say "baby inside now. baby not born." I'm still not convinced that he really understands, but he is a good parrot at repeating my explanations, so perhaps with enough repetition the actual meaning will sink in.

The month of travelling and eating out a lot was not very good for my weight gain, so I'm trying to keep my gain now to 0.5 lbs / week for the rest of the pregnancy. If I can succeed (big if!), then I'll have gained the same amount as I did with William. I'm not too stressed out about it (don't worry, I won't starve myself or hurt Floyd - I still made an ice-milk shake after dinner tonight :) ), but I also don't want to get too big since I'm already feeling unweildy and there are still 11 weeks to go!

I've started to order things online to be shipped here - so keep your fingers crossed the HR department at work actually authorizes the "layette shipment" soon so that it all arrives before the baby does! Thankfully, a shopping frenzy isn't required - but we will be making the switch to cloth diapers (check out BumGenius) due to cost of disposables here, will need a second high chair (William won't be giving his up), and also would like a few other odds and ends (e.g., formula in case pumping can't keep up).

The real debate is if we should get a cradle / bassinet type thing made here. William didn't like his crib until he was much older, and Greg is dead set on Floyd not sleeping in our bed.

2 comments:

Elaine said...

I love the bassinets :) And in colorful Indian fabric. What a fun souvenir!

Unknown said...

Hi Pam! I suddenly remembered to check your blog after someone recently suggested to me working at usaid. Wow, congrats on the pregnancy! It sounds like you are having lots of adventures. I'm very glad to read that you are doing well :) - Jaim