Monday, February 4, 2013

What was I doing there?

I accepted an invitation this morning for an interfaith breakfast.  Religious freedom is part of my human rights portfolio, and the Ambassador couldn't make it to the breakfast, so the invitation was passed to me.  I was looking forward to hearing what the Catholic bishops were to say during this event to commemorate UN week of interfaith dialogue.   The discussion was interesting, but putting policy aside, I had a few cultural thoughts from the morning.

First, it was at Villa San Miguel in Mandaluyong - an area of town I had never before visited.  I drove by small streets with so many electrical wires strung, I could not see the sky (and really feared for a fire, if a huge earthquake ever did hit).  I saw meat markets with cuts hanging in the open air - which I've seen before in the provinces, but never in the city where my shopping pretty much takes place at mostly Western-style grocery stores.  And tricycles queued up orderly like a taxi stand (not clogging the street like they do by my house).

Next, I arrived at the breakfast to find my assigned seat with four ambassadors, one assistant secretary, one monseigneur, and Cardinal Tagle, the Archbishop of Manila.  And Pam.  Suddenly, the Sesame Street song "one of these things is not like the others" was playing in my head.  I confirmed with the organizers they knew my rank within the diplomatic corps (ie, not quite Ambassador or Cardinal level! :) ), and they assured me that's where I was meant to be.  Luckily I have good table manners and can make pleasant conversation.

The last surprise came with the opening entertainment.  A troupe from an orphanage gave a small performance - five violinists, two guitarists, a percussionist, and two young girls dancing.  They started with "Mama Mia!" which was closely followed by Gangam Style.  I'm pretty sure in the U.S., a children's group would pick something religious to sing at an event like this - especially if the top-ranking Catholic official were present.  But, this is obviously not the U.S.  And Filipinos love music and dance - so Gangam style it was.  The energy in the performance had the full audience clapping along - and it wasn't until I left that I realized that I must have absorbed a bit more Philippine culture than I thought, since I didn't think the selection was that out of the ordinary.  Because it's not for here.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I have been the only 3rd secretary in a room full of ambassadors so many times in Guinea. I'm not sure if the other missions in-country even have 3rd secretaries, or if they just never let them out of the office, because I never see them.