Wednesday, February 22, 2012

They fall fast!

Knock on wood, we've been blessed with two super healthy kids, especially considering the cities they've grown up in. I don't want to write more for fear of tempting fate, jinxing ourselves, whatever.

Tonight, though, poor Patch fell hard and fast. Honestly, I didn't realize at first what was happening, because either of them are so rarely ill. I came home from work, and Lea reported he maybe had some indigestion or ate something funny, so I put a diaper on just in case. Then, he was really clingy, wanting to be held, wanting his back patted, crying when he was put down. I just thought he was being fussy, until he went into his bed, got his blanket and doggie, and half stumbled back to the living room sighing, "up, please!" By then I had been home about 45 minutes and decided maybe something was up beyond a typical toddler demand.

After just about 15 more minutes, he was quite hot to the touch. I asked how he was feeling, and he said, "Patch go sleep on Mama lap." Save for the two long car rides from airport to beach resort this past weekend, it's been a long long time since Patch fell asleep on me - maybe since he stopped nursing at 10 months, even. Though I felt sorry he was feeling poorly, I will admit, a little part of me did enjoy the extra snuggies and knowing that even if he usually acts pretty independently, resting on my lap was what he wanted when he felt sick. 

No comments: