Saturday, November 19, 2011

Baby Shower!

When I was pregnant with Patch, the Americans at the consulate all got together for a potluck lunch and baby shower.  We had only 18 American employees at the time (two of whom were me and Greg!), and a baby was a big deal!  Patch would increase the total number of dependent children at post from four to five - 25%!

Embassy Manila seems to have an explosion of pregnant women and small babies.  I have no idea if it's always like this or if something funny is going on at the embassy water purifier plant.  For instance, at Seafront alone, we have four pregnant moms and at least six kids two or under.  Baby central!

Remembering how happy I was to have someone offer to throw me a baby shower (people sometimes forget for second pregnancies), I offered to host for my pregnant neighbor-coworker.  Well, actually, I asked a friend if she could host at her townhouse, since Patch still needs a nap.  So, one friend opened her home and cooked, I did games/prizes/party favors, and everyone else came along for the fun (and brought a small dish to share).

Comparing with my shower in HYD, today's party was a very normal American baby shower.  All the baby clothes and toys - even those locally purchased - looked like they could have come from any baby store in the U.S.  I remembered my most-used gift from Patch's shower: a small carry along bassinet. My friends scoured the city looking for what I described and eventually found one made in China with undecipherable English letters on it.  We used it daily, but always wondered what exactly was written above the embroidered bear.

I could find all the materials I needed for my games at one department store and one drugstore - as I was shopping, I was very much appreciating the convenience of this; in HYD, I probably would have had to visit at least four stores in at least two different sections of town and definitely could not have left the shopping to the night before.

I try to appreciate Manila for itself, but I still can't help but see it through HYD-colored-glasses.  I laugh that I compare it to HYD instead of TX or DC.  And wonder - when we move to the next city in a year and a half, where ever that may be - will I compare that new place to Manila? Or HYD? Or by then will I be so confused will I be able to experience it without comparison.

No comments: