Saturday, September 17, 2011

Ballet in Manila

I had heard at an event here that the Philippines is crazy about ballet and I was sure to have ample opportunity to see ballet. The season didn't start until July, though, so i couldn't get started on the project right away. Then I was in India for the start.

In August, we scored a fee pair of tickets through work. While each piece was enjoyable - the evening was a bit disjointed and it felt a bit like a recital, than at a professional event. One piece by a local choreographer to power ballad music was danced well and offered a great view into adapting a Western art form to local preference - the audience certainly loved it. Personally, I couldn't stand the music.

After slight disappointment that evening, which ran about 45 minutes too long, I wanted to try a different company. Every morning we drive by the CCP, Manila's main theatre - when Cinderella was advertised on the event board, I wanted to go. It took some time to find a "date", since Saturday was the same night as a big charity cabaret fundraiser. But, one friend came through. We had a fun ladies night out to dinner and the to the ballet.

I came home to google who wrote the music (Prokofiev) and fine more about the dancers (not much luck there). What I did discover,though is that this city has three ballet companies, two of which preform at CCP. I'm sure there's a story there!

The real moral of the story is to always get someone's business card. Had I done that at the event I was at in April when I was first told about the ballet scene, then I would know someone who knew the answer.

No comments: