Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Just before we leave

Greg's been trying to get William to learn some Hindi. It's harder than you would think, because Sarwari is very proud that she has taught herself English. Which means she doesn't really want to speak Hindi with William, despite our encouragements.

Tonight, I was playing with William (who, amazingly, said he wanted to play instead of watch Thomas. I was happy for the interaction, but slightly missing my usual 30 minutes of email time) and we were lining up his cars and trucks for various purposes such as going through gates, checking the signals, parking, etc.

Out of no where, he busted out some Hindi. I have no idea what he said. Our conversation followed as thus:
Pam: "William, I only speak Telugu, remember? No Hindi."
William: "But Mama, the drivers are speaking to each other."
Pam: "What did they say?"
William: "They only speak Hindi. You can't understand."

So, who knows what he was actually saying in Hindi ... I certainly don't. He has, apparently, picked up enough to make pretend driver conversation. Not to mention the cultural context of drivers speaking to each other without any need for me to understand.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

That is so sweet! Yasmine hasn't said one work in Hind/Urdu and it's her dad's mother tongue and my in-laws speak it to her most of the time. She only sees them about once a week and hasn't really picked any up yet. Junayd speaks only English to her. So hopefully she is able to catch on soon.

Elaine said...

I'm facinated by the "cultural" awareness. about who speaks what. very interesting.