Tuesday, March 9, 2010

3 weeks? That's nothing!

If it's been three weeks since Pam posted, it must be close to six months for me. And we have friends coming over for dinner in 20 minutes, so this post won't be long, either.

But what I will say is that we're starting to get excited about coming home for a few weeks. I'm not sure we know why. We've become so accustomed to Indian ways that I'm not sure we remember just how different it is. I suspect the reverse culture shock will be significant. But we're definitely looking forward to seeing friends and family, and of course to having a few weeks off work.

I think the most interesting thing will be seeing how Sarwari does. Will she be as much work as the kids? Will she adjust easily? Will she be too nervous to leave the house? Heck, we have to teach her to do simple things like cross the street - there are no walk/don't walk signs here. We did get her a whole pile of Hindi and Telugu movies to help her while away her hours in PA and TX when she's not technically working. Which will be another interesting thing - will she be able to understand that she can be around us and not working? Is it worth the effort to try to get her to understand? She'll be treated like a real person in the US, not just a servant, and I think that will be a shock for her at times.

Updates to come, hopefully less than six months later.

No comments: