Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Hathi meera sathi!

I don't know many phrases in Hindi. Those that I do know tend to be limited to the same ten questions commonly asked at work. Though I could probably conduct the interview questions in Hindi by this point, I still don't understand the answers - so I'll stick to Telugu.

William, however, is starting to pick up quite a bit of Hindi because (a) Greg has been telling Sarwary and Shabana he really does want them to speak Hinid with him (they didn't believe him at first) and (b) his new school is much more multi-lingual (English, Telugu and Hindi).

Over the weekend, a friend brought a pillow with an elephant on it for Patrick. It has various words for elephant printed on it, and she taught William the phrase "hathi meera sathi" (the elephant is my friend). Visitors and webcam chatters have told us William has an Indian accent when speaking English. I have no idea how his Hindi accent is, but I can't help but smile every time I hear him say "hathi meera sathi;" he adds a little sing-song to make it poem-like. This is one Hindi phrase I'll always remember!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

That's awesome. You've got to post a video of him chatting away in Hindi. :) I, for one, would love to hear it. He's probably going to develop quite the liking for indian spices/food as well.

Elaine said...

What fun. I'm with Leslie video and pictures.

Tom Coenen said...

How cute! Is he also still doing the head bob thing? :)