Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I have arrived, and I have left

Maybe this post should be called "ap ki", because I'm actually in Delhi, not Hyderabad.  Today marked a milestone of sorts - the first visa issuance.  And honestly, after 29 other interviews, I don't even remember who the first person was.  Yes, they really do all blend together.  And while the decisions get easier after only a few interviews, there always seems to be something slightly different about each case.  But enough of that - I've got two more years of visa interviews.  What the heck am I doing in Delhi?  

Turns out that Hyderabad isn't open yet.  Pam (who stayed there with William and Nancy) can write more about what actually is going on there, but visa interviews will not be on her list.  So here I am, along with two other Hyderabad people, training and helping at the same time.  We're all staying at the Taj Palace for some reason.  White-gloved butler.  More service than you really want.  Flat-screen TV.  Sound system that seems to demand a dance party in the room.  Thanks, taxpayers!  

Otherwise, I haven't actually seen too much of Delhi yet.  Maybe it's just the Diplomatic Enclave where we're staying and working, but Delhi seems much greener and less crowded than I expected.  We did have one after-work outing on Monday, to a tea shop in the edge of Old Delhi.  It was a terrific little place, one of those holes in the wall that you'd never try unless someone recommended it to you.  But this wasn't just a place to get a cup of chai - in fact, I'm not even sure they sold chai.  This was a place where they really know their tea.  I picked up a couple different types, mostly for Pam, of course.  And I think I even remember the difference between green, oolong, and black.  Who knew that tea depends on terroir as much as wine?  

And then there's the weekend.  I was planning to go with some friends to Varanasi, which is, as much as anyplace, the heart of Hinduism.  It's not a place Pam is interested in, definitely not of interest to William, and far more convenient to Delhi than it is to Hyderabad, so it seems like the perfect trip to take now.  But the train is sold out.  So now I have a decision.  Take a different train?  Find a plane?  Stay here in Delhi?  Go to Hyderabad?  One other friend who isn't going to Varanasi suggested a one-night trip to Amritsar, where you can apparantly stay at the Golden Temple for free with the other pilgrims.  Sounds interesting, and again, I'm guessing not something that Pam would want to do.  So maybe I'll do that if Varanasi doesn't work.  Stay tuned.  

2 comments:

Adam Glaser said...

Wow, sounds like it's quite the adventure already! It's too bad you never joined the tea-drinkers SI group at Appian...then you could have really known your stuff.

A weekend trip with friends? You have friends...already?? Look at you adapting to your new environment like a champ!

Annie said...

Glad to hear you are settling in. I hope you can get established in your home soon -- but hey, you're gaining experience and getting comfortable with the place, which is awesome.