Monday, September 19, 2011

Learned at school

Wm's been at his school for 5 months now, and seems to be in the swing of things. After some false starts in HYD, we landed at Sloka which we loved - and still miss! Wm's school here is pretty good; really the only thing I'm not so wild about are the birthday parties with presents required at school.

I am still, surprised, though, at some of the things Wm has picked up. For instance:
- if you're upset about something, next time that happens, you can try laughing and see if it makes it better
- if you practice material with teacher every day, you'll get better at it
- it's a good thing to have your mom and dad proud of you and you should try not to disappoint them

Usually these thoughts of his are prefaced by "Teacher told me..." so I know where the new ideas are coming from. Right now, I can tell he's really wanting to figure out letters and words and must be a bit frustrated, because that's when he made the comment about "practicing new material" and working with the letter box. Kudos to his teacher for turning the frustration into positive work effort. Hopefully that will stick with him.

The respecting parents bit is ok, but definitely stronger and with a more Asian slant than we'd come across in a WASPy preschool in the US, I think. Hopefully it won't leave him with a complex. I'm no where near being a "tiger mom," so home life will mitigate any concerns I have there, I hope.

No comments: